Friday, February 5, 2016

5-4-3-2-1 or, 1-2-3-4-5, or whatever...

I fell off the blog wagon a week or so ago… It’s not that I didn’t have anything to say, there has just been a lot of other stuff going on. I’ll be posting about the #edcamp918 later, but this one was tweeted at me and I feel like I have to respond. I was never a chain letter person or chain email person so it’s not one of those things, it's more of a “someone told me to so I have to”... So, here it goes…


1-2-3-4-5


What has been your ONE big struggle during this school year?
  • Keeping up with grading. I’m a very lazy guy and being busy isn’t good for that. I have lessened  the assignment load on my students and I also do not grade everything… But still, I don’t like grading, I’ll get to some of it after this post tho.


Share TWO accomplishments that you are proud of from this school year?
  • Google Classrooms:  I Love this application! I am slowly using more pieces and working with my students about digital citizenship and college and career skills. It is keeping the students accountable and me on top of things.
  • Blogging and Twitter citizenship: I’ve always had stuff to say, but never really thought anyone would listen. I don’t think I have achieved any status or level of respect but I have taught for a while and I have ideas. Being active on these mediums have made me work and think. It has helped me grow and brought a lot of new ideas and learning into my classroom.


What are THREE things you wish to accomplish before the end of the school year?
  • Have students create podcasts as a part of a lesson: I love using technology. As my students get more involved and comfortable with applying these platforms to their learning, I want to give them skills they will want and need. The more interactive the better and that is what I am looking for here.
  • Work with other teachers: I love to learn and teach. I love finding new ideas I haven’t thought of. I love finding validation in my thoughts and opinions. I also like to learn when I;m wrong. I love sharing good ideas when I have them and they work. Our jobs are too big, and we have too wide an audience to think we can do it ourselves. I want to seek out other opportunities to grow and help the profession.
  • Continue work on my masters degree and start looking at doctoral programs: I love learning. Last Fall my brother told be about a new master’s program at Southeastern Oklahoma State University in Native American Leadership. I’m a Cherokee citizen and have always appreciated that part of my heritage and how it intertwines with our state and country’s history. Given a chance to study it with focus and guidance was something I did not want to pass up. I began that spring and anticipate graduating this December. I have thoroughly enjoyed every class. It isn’t an Education course of study but I have become a better teacher because of it. It has rekindled that fire of learning and curiosity and I am now starting to look into doctoral programs. I will stay in education and want to do something effective while still being able to be a teacher and be an advocate for students.


Give FOUR reasons why you remain in education in today’s rough culture.
  • The Kids: I love the kids. I saw how much my mother loved her job and I wanted to do something like that. I have always enjoyed helping with kids whether it was through church stuff or little league. I really enjoy it and love the enthusiasm and curiosity they bring with them.
  • I’m good at it: I'm not someone who pretends I excel at things, or am an expert on anything. I like learning and I think that is part of what makes me good at this. I find out things with my kids sometimes. When we are where we can as a class I like to apply un-directed learning and let the kids try to teach me things. It’s really fascinating and fun.
  • I’ve never cared much about money: It's not to say I don’t want it or need it. I'm not going to turn away a pay raise, but I'm not going to just destroy myself to "get rich". I just think there are other ways and forms of value that we should appreciate. I like spending time with people and building relationships. I keep in contact with former students and love hearing their stories and how they are making a difference. Knowledge and relationships aren’t things that will go away when banks misbehave, or a severe conflict occurs. I like to keep perspective and teaching really does that to you.
  • I love it: I know, it's a cop out easy end of the list answer but I really do. I get to the building early. I have a white board with standards and objectives posted all over my wall in my apartment. I have atlases and maps as wall hangings. There are about a dozen articles and books strewn across my apartment floor right now related to teaching, geography, or my master’s program. I look forward to what I get to read next and what my students get to discover next.


Which FIVE people do you hope will take the challenge of answering these questions.
@Valariefarrow
@Ccherran
@FatCatArtist
@Jendoty7

@DossettFor34 (He was a teacher this year, perhaps he could reword four to account for his change in positions.)

No comments:

Post a Comment